steve donovan wrote:

The trouble is that Eclipse and Java are such a brilliant combination,
and ultimately it's due to how relatively easy it's to find sufficient
static type information from parsing Java.  Dynamic languages make it
harder, in fact the general problem is probably insolvable. Common
cases, like code completing 'string.f', should be relatively easy, but
once you have your own objects floating around, then things are messy.

This is what I thought until I started using IDEs for dynamic languages, e.g. NetBeans. Getting the common cases right gets you 80-90% of the benefit of getting all of the cases right.

Best,
Martin