Hi David,

Thanks for you thoughts!

On 24/03/2009, at 2:19 PM, David Manura wrote:

On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 8:03 PM, Geoff Leyland wrote:
PiL says: "Unlike arithmetic metamethods, relational metamethods do not
support mixed types...".  Supporting mixed types would be very handy
for defining constraints in Linear Programs, where you could go:
 a_constraint = 2 * x1 + 3 * x2 + 4 * x3 <= 6
...The pure Lua alternative I can think of is to offer easy constructors
for term lists:
a_constraint = 2 * x1 + 3 * x2 + 4 * x3 <= make_term_list(6)

Even that won't work because, moreover, "these operators always result
in false or true." [1]  Therefore, a_constraint always assumes the
value true or false, not some expression object.

Thanks, I didn't read the docs far enough earlier, and that one just bit me as your mail arrived. Oh well...

Your approach is fairly similar to [2], which has some limitations as
you have shown.

Thanks - that provides a reply to my earlier mail about Short Anonymous Functions - I figured it had to be a common approach. I note you mention Todd Veldhuizen on the wiki page - I corresponded with him a bit back in the days when template expressions were new...

Here's a few alternatives:

 a_constraint = le(2 * x1 + 3 * x2 + 4 * x3, 6)
 a_constraint = (2 * x1 + 3 * x2 + 4 * x3):le(6)
 a_constraint = Constraint[[2 * x1 + 3 * x2 + 4 * x3 <= 6]]

I tend to like the second at the moment, though I couldn't say why. I considered the third initially, and then went off it when I realised template expressions might get me there. Your hints about only parsing lightly could be useful though. I'm just not sure I have the time to develop more than one approach very far, so I'm gonna have to guess the right one at the start.

I tend to like the last one since putting the expression into a string
you parse yourself allows much flexibility, few gotchas, and a
familiar syntax.  If you need to substitute Lua variables into those
expressions, it's a bit more cumbersome, but you might use the
approaches in [3,4] and take care about security concerns similar to
SQL injection.

Yes, well, list comprehensions are on the list of things I'll have to tackle at some stage, so that's very helpful (I had found it before). I think I'll probably mostly be doing conditional sums over late-bound sets though, so once again, Template Expressions would be a really nice way of building them up

Metalua[5], token filters, or patching Lua are other alternatives if
you want a more seamless syntax.

I'd really like to do as much in as pure Lua as possible if I can (not counting bindings to an LP solver). Pulp[1] and pyomo[2] manage quite nicely in Python, and Lua is so close...

Cheers,
Geoff

[1] http://code.google.com/p/pulp-or/
[2] http://www.optimization-online.org/DB_HTML/2008/09/2095.html