I've been seeing a lot of talk on the intertubes lately about how most
application developers have been doing files the wrong way when it comes
to the atomicity of their file transactions[1]. I was curious if there
is a Lua way to do this yet. All I've seen in the ref manual is
file:flush, which as of 5.1.3's source looks like a wrapper for fflush,
and I believe that would only get the file out of the internal buffers
and into the operating system's delayed allocation buffers.

For what its worth, the Python people seem to believe that fflush is the
end of our responsibility as application developers[2].

[1]: http://lwn.net/Articles/323169/
[2]: http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/python/dev/727913#727913

--
William C. Bubel