Thank you very much for your observations.

I had in fact tried this solution and still failed.

I reworked a test script and achieved success.

The reason for the failure appears to be that I wrapped the solution
inside another 'C' function which had not been registered in the correct
form for use bu lua.  This suggests that scoping is more stringent than
I had thought and propagation of mixed functions across the code is
difficult.

This is embarrassing and I apologise if I wasted time.

The solution will form part of work to handle raw packet analysis.  I
will announce progress when further work has been accomplished.

Many thanks

Chris

--
Dr Christopher S Kirk