[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
- Subject: Re: Feature proposal: \x## notation in strings
- From: Mike Pall <mikelu-0903@...>
- Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 01:19:06 +0100
Roberto Ierusalimschy wrote:
> Technical arguments (hexa is tight, can be unambiguous, is good for
> masks and other bit tricks) are wellcome.
1. There is no easy way to add a meta-mechanism, because strings
are parsed before any such mechanism could take effect.
2. Apart from the \x and \u escape sequences, there is little
demand for other types of escape sequences which would warrant a
3. Lua's strings are multi-purpose because they are just sequences
of bytes. They are often used to store non-textual content. An
idiomatic way to enter this content as literals is missing.
BTW: Roberto, here's something for your ~/.muttrc:
set attribution="%n wrote:"