Bertrand Mansion wrote:
On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 1:23 AM, Diego Nehab <diego@tecgraf.puc-rio.br> wrote:

I think this is the strongest argument so far. I'd be happy
if decimal escape sequences were replaced with hexadecimal
ones.  Maybe in a future version.

This is also my opinion. Hex escape sequences feel more natural than
decimal ones (at least to programmers) :) It would be interesting to
know why decimal ones were chosen in the first place ?

Except for all the code that uses decimal escape sequences will be
broken if they are deprecated. :-)

If hex sequences are supported, it would have less breakage if it
was in additin to decimal sequences.

And then all we have to do is fix string.char() so it does not
crap out on things like:

  s = string.char(-1)

:-)

Ralph