David Given <dg@cowlark.com> writes:
> Also, I notice that the standard set of C string escapes uses the same
> syntax (and with the same gotcha), but for octal escapes, rather than
> Lua's decimal. I'd argue that this is confusing, given that a lot of Lua
> programmers are embedding Lua in C; but as there's no way of changing
> things now without breaking backwards compatibility in truly horrible
> ways, such an argument would be pointless!

That's actually one reason I favor adding the \xDD syntax -- besides hex
being generally handy and useful, it offers a non-confusing alternative
to \DDD for programmers used to the more standard octal interpretation
of the latter.

-Miles

--
Is it true that nothing can be known?  If so how do we know this?  -Woody Allen