I agree that the answer was slightly off topic o:).
My 2 cents on testing frameworks.

I don't have an IT background and am not interested in developing the next great web framework or database or..., I just want to write programs that make my (or my clients) life easier. A profile I think a lot of developers match.
For me unit testing was a giant leap forward, I frankly don't see the same incremental benefit for me in using BDD.

So I think a lot of people can benefit from a small/simple framework that covers, if not all then at least the greater part, of their automated testing needs (unit testing that is).

Wim

On Fri, Mar 6, 2009 at 3:34 AM, Bertrand Mansion <lua@mamasam.net> wrote:
On Fri, Mar 6, 2009 at 5:50 AM, David Manura <dm.lua@math2.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 6:15 PM, Wim Langers wrote:
>> ...I've taken the initiative to fork (a presumably dead) LuaUnit to bring
>> it on to par with Lua itself and to further enhance it....
>> - run tests in parallel to optimise tests which are waiting for some
>> event/condition/time
>
> I was discussing the various Lua testing frameworks[1] with Fabien
> recently.  I'm not really satisfied these and have been using a home
> grown framework and am more recently experimenting with Behavior
> Driven Development (BDD) (like Ruby RSpec[2]) with a matching library
> (like [3]) and implementing this in terms of Metalua[4] as a
> domain-specific language.  The description of ScalaTest[5] perhaps
> provides a helpful model for Lua given TMTOWTDI.
>
> That doesn't address your general question, particularly the parallel
> test (Lua Lanes) handling, but I think it's worth revisiting
> alternatives to the traditional JUnit style testing (though not
> necessarily invalidating it).
>
>  [1] http://lua-users.org/wiki/UnitTesting
>  [2] http://rspec.info/
>  [3] http://code.google.com/p/hamcrest/wiki/Tutorial
>  [4] http://metalua.luaforge.net/
>  [5] http://www.artima.com/scalatest/

There is also a spec framework on github:
http://github.com/mirven/luaspec/tree/master

--
Bertrand Mansion
Mamasam