Asko has produced his LNUM patch which allows for extra number types.
I use it on my little ARM devices where I need floating-point but
where it would be slow to make everything run as a double (emulated
floating-point!), so I can have doubles and regular longs in the same
Lua.  Works rather nicely, but you do need to patch the source.

steve d.