On 4 Mar 2009, at 18:58, Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo wrote:

Following several bytecode exploits found by the relentless Peter Cawley and others, we are considering dropping the bytecode verifier completely in Lua 5.2. It seems useless to make a promise that we can't seem to deliver without a much more complicated verifier than the current one, and possibly
with the need for costly runtime checks as well.

A bold move that sheds a load of code.  I like it.

drj