I don't know of any free compilers for their dsPICs, sadly (or for
PIC32 for that matter). Well, this basically happens because they
somehow manage to take GCC, modify it and then sell it for a lot of
money (this is true for both PIC32 and dsPIC). IMO this is the kind of
thing that kills open source, so I try to stay as far as possible from
their products and tools (I'm not questioning the legal aspects here,
just the ethical issues).
And you're right, 32k is quite right, but still good enough for many
small applications.

Best,
BOgdan