You can go with 256k/64k ROM/RAM without doubts. eLua has that on the
LM3S (Cortex-M3) chips, and can do quite a lot with that, including a
scripting web server written in Lua that can (of course) execute Lua
code embedded in HTML pages. You're bound to run out of memory very
quickly if you try to overuse it, but still, it _works_ :) And it also
has libraries for peripheral access, a shell (not the Lua shell,
although you can invoke that from the eLua shell) and other such
goodies.

Best,
Bogdan