Mark Tomczak wrote:
I picked the IRC channel's collective brain on this issue, and we discussed the performance impact aspects of this design. But I also wanted to ask the mailing-list community: is there any syntactical reason that I would want to avoid allowing myInstance:instanceMethod to become a valid construct outside of a function declaration (as, for instance, a shorthand alias for constructing the closure as I described)? I'm nervous about getting halfway down the road of trying out this modification and then running headlong into a language ambiguity.
The irc channel's brain pickings (that I'm aware of, anyway) are summarized over at http://lua-users.org/wiki/MethodCurry .