lua-users home
lua-l archive

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]

Mmm, but I really really dislike the A_B_C syntax, when Lua supports tables which gives a much more intuitive interface...

Tolua syntax is: NAMESPACE.CLASS:method()

I very much prefer that.
Im not sure what syntax slb had for namespaces...?

I noticed than some of the other template-based bindings where using a similar (_) notion.

I also like the:

What about destruction? Who is responsible for deallocating objects?
Tolua has:

B= a.class:new(); // you are explicitly responsible for deallocating this 

local B=a.class:new_local(); // it will be deallocated when B goes out of scope

which is also something I like, because it works with reference counting (:new() is used, and then the object is given to a ref_ptr in c++ which owns the object).

On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 9:11 PM, Peter Kümmel <> wrote:
Peter Kümmel wrote:
Anders Backman wrote:
Well in most cases for us, namespaces are crucial.
For example a class named Vec3 can be found in multiple places in our framework (once in the SceneGraph and once in the Physics), but its just one place where it can pop up.

So some kind of support of Namespaces would be nice...ideas?

Hi Anders,

I've pushed some code to demonstrate the namespace support of lqt.
Calling cmake with -Dnoqt will suppress the Qt binding and will bind

Sorry, =1 is missing:

cmake ../lqt -Dnoqt=1

the to classes in test/noqt:

namespace n1 { class F; } and
namespace n2 { class F; }

At the moment the code doesn't run but you will see that the binding
of lqt can handle namespaces in principle. There are two lua classes:

extern "C" LQT_EXPORT int luaopen_n1_LQT_F (lua_State *L) {
   lqtL_createclass(L, "n1_LQT_F*", lqt_metatable_3, lqt_base_3);
   return 0;


extern "C" LQT_EXPORT int luaopen_n1_LQT_F (lua_State *L) {
   lqtL_createclass(L, "n2_LQT_F*", lqt_metatable_3, lqt_base_3);
   return 0;

which could be used like this (but first we must fully free the code from the
Qt stuff):

require 'noqt'

n1 =;
n2 =;




On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 10:45 PM, Mauro Iazzi < <>> wrote:

   2009/1/18 Anders Backman < <>>:
   >  Ok, great, one step further, at least one left:
   >  Now I added -i  ${BINDING_HEADER}/${BINDING_HEADER}
   >  Which generates:
   >  #ifndef LQT_HEAD_agxStream_LQT_EndOfArchiveException
   >  #define LQT_HEAD_agxStream_LQT_EndOfArchiveException
   >  #include "lqt_common.hpp"
   >  #include "libname/libname" <<<<
   >  #include "lqt_qt.hpp"

   I assume this is the behaviour you wanted, correct?

   >  // But then this libname depends on another namespace which is
   then tried to
   >  be included with:
   >  #include <otherlib>
   >  // which is not correct. Not quite sure where this comes from...
   >  // Either it should not be there at all, or it should be
   >  class LQT_EXPORT lqt_shell_otherlib_LQT_EndOfArchiveException : public
   >  agxStream::EndOfArchiveException {
   >  /Anders

   I think this comes from a trick we added to speed up compilation of Qt
   bindings. Instead of including the original header, the class includes
   an header containing the name of the class. It works for Qt. I'll add
   a switch to turn off this behaviour.

   Namespaces are not considered. I don't even know how lqt behaves with
   namespaces. And I don't know how much time it would need to get them
   working. I think some not-so-clean workaround could be found, if you
   need it.

Anders Backman, CTO  Algoryx Simulation AB
Uminova Science Park, Box 7973,  SE-907 19
Umeå,  Sweden <>
Cell: +46-70-392 64 67

Anders Backman, CTO  Algoryx Simulation AB
Uminova Science Park, Box 7973,  SE-907 19
Umeå,  Sweden
Cell: +46-70-392 64 67