Because "not", "and", "or" are lua keywords and cannot be used as symbols.

On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 9:20 AM, Mike Panetta <panetta.mike@gmail.com> wrote:
One thing I never understood about the various bit libraries (and a bit of an annoyance personally, no pun intended :) is the inconsistency and redundancy of the function names.

For example, the bitwise not, and, or, and xor functions are prefixed with b (I assume to denote that they are bit operations) but this is unnecessary as they are in the bit library (namespace, table, whatever) and will not collide with any other such named functions. (this is the redundancy nit I have)

In addition, the other functions are *not* prefixed with b, and yet they are also bit functions. (this is the inconsistency nit I have)

Is there any explanation for this?  Is it just some piece of history that everyone is following, or...?

This post is not meant to inflame, its just something I have been wondering for quite some time now.

Thanks,
Mike