hi,
'Future' construct from Java 5 is similar (but in my opinion inferior)
to 'Deferred' construct in say Python Twisted... If this is where
you are deriving the project from.

My undestanding is that it is particulary used for Asynchronious
communcations.

That is: 'submit' a call, get an immediate return and then when the call
really completes, have the system invoke your callback function.

For that to expose the 'parallelism' there has to be a 'none-blocking
I/O'
API somwhere on the OS level (or a database access done in asynch
manner) --
and none of those are readily available to Lua (but I may be wrong
here).

If it is not to be used for async communications, then
why would that already work with typical callback functions that
lua already supports?

--
  V S P
  toreason@fastmail.fm