Now that I've read the paper on the GC changes to deal with weak tables, I think I can comment more specifically.

The ephemerons approach looks like a good way to handle attaching secondary properties to objects. On the other hand, if you wanted to do something like build a linked-list data structure and keep the links private, it would readily get you into the quadratic case during the atomic phase of the collection which is not a good thing.

So, I think there's still an argument for having a way to create keys where the security can't be violated via pairs which is essentially what at least parts of this proposal were about.

Mark