2008/12/17 Mark Hamburg <mark@grubmah.com>:
> Reactions? I'm hoping that the first two items fit with Lua's preference for
> mechanisms over policies. The need for a keyword in the syntax of the third
> suggestion feels harder to swallow, but it makes the mechanisms much more
> natural to code with.

I may have missed something, but all of these modifications look like
an awkward way to implement private keys. There are already several
ways to implement that without patching Lua. The only difference is
that your proposal allows to have the desired semantics, and the
syntax for both the user and the implementer of the tables with
private keys. I'd personally prefer having a more generic but
lightweight syntax modification tool be integrated into Lua, like
token filters.