Thanks for pointing me to this book. i think the method shown in the
book is not exactly what i need. the tracing of variables should be as
transparent as possible to the writer of the lua code. tracing the
global variables of the script would be enough and it should be as easy
as one call like "tracevars(varname1, varname2)" and everything else is
handled in the background.
as the lua-code in my projekt is input in a textfield i could of course
preprocess the code before sending it to lua.

is this possible?