On Sat, Nov 29, 2008 at 4:28 PM, Paul Sheer <paulsheer@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the info.
>
> Performance is one thing.
>
> But all high-level languages *should* have proper dynamic strings.

For some definition of "proper dynamic strings".

> If this were not true, than PIL would not need to mention the warning
> in section 11.6.
>
> Basically, all programmers expect that a = a .. b should be efficient.

I doubt that.  The equlvalent in C++ (a = a + b) is rather
inefficient, but C++ does have a more efficient mutating operator
(a+=b).  Java programmers will also expect a=a+b to be inefficient,
and will use a StringBuilder in general.  In general, a = a + b is
inefficient as it creates too many objects.

-- James