You need the correct metatable to be set on you userdata object.

If you are not using any binding framework (such as tolua++ or luabind),
you might be able to take a look at how the Button:new() function is
implemented. Do the same in your code, and it will work :-)

If you have no idea of how the Button:new() function was implemented,
chances are that its programmer used some binding framework or other.
The answer to your question greatly depends on that, so please try to
find out.

Jan