Your problem has nothing to do with lua, it's just that you don't seem
to know how to parse text files in C.  Maybe we can help you with
that, not sure if we should (it's supposed to be a lua list after
all), but in any case the lack of details about your C code makes
telling anything relevant impossible.  It's not even clear how you do
your parsing, and there are so many possibilities (read everything and
play with pointers, read line-per-line then play with pointers, use
scanf, use flex/bison...).

  OG.