Thank you Roberto,

this
   + string.char(0xc2, 0xa0)
worked

Also thank you for all the responses,
now I understand that 0xc2a0 is not a UTF-8 space
but instead a special HTML character that is rendered
by web browsers as space, and that is
represented differently in UTF-8. Some
how was not handeled by PHP's html_entity_decode
(this function is supposed to get rid of all the
HTML stuff for me)

Peter, I use that dijit.Editor Javascript editor because it allows
to define buttons, that am going to use to allow users
to do 'Blocks of code insert' -- instead of just having them typing
in text.  I am only disgarding HTML tags when passing to my
compiler written in Lua, otherwise, I will be saving the text as is
in UTF-8 enabled postgreSQL.

... by the way, I added to my online-resume that I programmed in Lua
(my compiler is just over 1.6k lines, but have used also luabind C++
library
for another project)
and got a call today from a recruiter about my LUA experience :-).

--
  V S P
  toreason@fastmail.fm