Hi Peter, thank you for your reply.
My knowledge is limited, and that's why I am probably not understanding
your reply completely.

Here is the editor I am using
http://dojocampus.org/explorer/#Dijit_Editor_Basic

In my 'language' documentation I am just saying that an identifier
must have a space preceding it.
So user can hit the space bar before typing the identifier.

You are saying that a stylesheet can control how the keyboard space
bar is being recorded within textarea of the editor's dom node?
If yes, I will then investigate that (as I have no idea how to
do this in CSS)

On the other hand, I am looking at it -- what if the text was
created by a UTF-8 capable editor, would that editor do exactly
the same thing as the web page: 0xC2A0? and if yes, then
my compiler should support it.

Right now I figured out this in PHP:

$utf8_text=str_replace( chr(0xC2).chr(0xA0),' ',$utf8_text);

- this seems to be working as LUA now can see the 'ascii' space
But I am thinking that there may be things that I am not anticipating,
and that my LPeg grammar to recognize space needs to be 'smarter'.

--
  V S P
  toreason@fastmail.fm