Canute Bigler wrote:
Norman Ramsey wrote:
[snip]
Thank you all for the responses so far. I had considered the route of compiling the script to bytecode and then embedding it as a buffer that I could then load. I'd not yet compared the timing difference between the two methods.
[snip]

Putting some performance numbers to David Given's comment... I did a primitive test of loading time (source/bytecode in memory to loaded function) for LuaSrcDiet. The numbers are in the last section of the http://luasrcdiet.luaforge.net/ page.

To summarize, on a Sempron 3000+, bytecode loads at about 37MB/sec. Source stripped of all unnecessary bits, about 4.4MB/sec (ballpark figure would be one magnitude difference). Source with whitespace and comments, I guess 10-15MB/sec (just whitespace/comments alone would be over 60MB/sec). This excludes disk I/O overhead. For very large files or files with specific patterns (e.g. large tables) it might be worth doing a bit of benchmarking, if only to obtain some actual timing numbers.

--
Cheers,
Kein-Hong Man (esq.)