On the face of it, many JavaScript constructs are going to translate
nicely, like

obj.method(function() {
   dosomething();
})

obj:method(function()
    dosomething()
end)

But how to tell when something's being called as a method? Lua
requires us to know this upfront so we can say ':' and ensure that the
self argument is passed implicitly.

Also, from my limiited experience, JavaScript is very permissive about
conversions which in Lua have to be explicit.

In short, it is much more of a compiler (deep semantic mapping) than a
translator that's needed.

steve d.