I found this to be interesting and I didn't know that concept yet:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duck_Typing (came there from the lua page there)

I found especially this quote here extremely reminding of some type of
frequently asked questions on this mailing list:

"Duck typing is aided by habitually not testing for the type of arguments in
method and function bodies, relying on documentation, clear code, and testing
to ensure correct use. Users of statically typed languages new to dynamically
typed languages may want to add such static, (before run-time), type checks
which defeats duck typing, constraining the language's dynamism."

I think I'll refer to that page if someone asks me *again* how to implement
static typing in lua. Haven't found this reference in the mailing list
archives, so I thought some readers of the mailing list could be interested ;)

--Eike