> If you're reading PDF files in Lua, make sure you open them in binary
mode, ie, use io.open(filename,"rb").

Thanks for the advice. I'm using the "Save as" with "accessible text" option
of Acrobat, so the file is ASCII. But it is laden with forms control, and
two different versions of Acrobat (Pro V8 versus Reader V9) are outputting
different files. This makes comparing results on the two machines difficult.

It is the image version of this file that's eating my lunch...