----- Original Message -----
From: Taylor Venable
Date: 9/9/2008 2:04 PM
On Mon, Sep 08, 2008 at 06:03:13PM -0500, Fabio Mascarenhas wrote:
Thanks for the pointers and advice everybody. Ultimately I ended up
following this MSDN article, since I needed to implement io.popen like
this as well.  Works like a charm.
There has been a number of solutions for this posted over the years, too. The ones I currently use are a patched version of lua-ex (http://lua-users.org/wiki/ExtensionProposal) found at svn://svn.luaplus.org/LuaPlus/work51/Src/Modules/lua-ex (where I've undoubtedly broken the Linux version) and svn://svn.luaplus.org/LuaPlus/work51/Src/LuaPlus/popen.c, which replaces the system() call. popen.c is combined from some sources published here and some of my own stuff (which is also in my older module at svn://svn.luaplus.org/LuaPlus/work51/Src/Modules/pipe that I don't use anymore... replaced it with lua-ex).

Josh