On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 15:23:17 +0200
Mike Pall <mikelu-0808@mike.de> wrote:

> > Only LuaJIT was compiled as
> > 32bit code the others are 64bit.  That might not be fair to LuaJIT,
> > but the reason I started this project was to get JIT support on
> > x86_64.  I might do another benchmark run tonight with them all
> > compiled as 32bit code.
>
> I don't think it makes much of a difference here. The additional
> registers in 64 bit mode improve the performance only in very
> specific cases.

Hmm.  I tend to find that AMD64 is around 10% faster than ia32 in the
general case. It certainly is using stock Lua and your SciMark on the
same machine. Plenty of integer-based stuff in C gets similar speed ups
(our simulator for our CPU's 30% faster, for example) for just being
built 64 bit. Firefox suddenly becomes usable!  10% certainly seems
worthwhile for many applications - and 30% certainly is.

B.