I need to implement the functionality of luac within my own peculiar environment. Mostly I'm just copying the code in luac.c. I have everything working fine, except that the expression (clvalue(L->top+(i))->l.p) (in the toproto macro) means that I must have the complete definition of lua_State in scope, instead of the incomplete definition provided by lua.h that is all I need everywhere else.

I can of course resolve this by including lstate.h, but I want to make sure I'm not overlooking a superior solution. Am I doing the right thing or is there a better practice?