> So how is luaffi different/better than alien?

Good question. I feel quite embarrassed now because I thought I had
searched for existing projects using both libffi and lua, and I only found
Lua-Gtk2. Maybe the time when I did this search was just before Alien's
release ? I forgot ...

To answer your question, at first sight (since I'm discovering Alien right
now), I'd say luaffi is much lower level. It does the strict minimum, no
fancy things (like buffers and arrays in Alien). Its might also be closer
to libffi's own API. It's simple (but complete)

 Cheers,

Vincent.