On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 12:26:58PM +0200, David Kastrup wrote:
> In my opinion, there is a difference between "{1,2} and {1,2} are
> different" and "({1,2} ~= {1,2})".  The first statement in my opinion is
> nonsense, since the comparison is implied to be done on a
> textual/lexical fragment base outside of Lua and it is not at all clear
> what measure of equivalence is supposed to be used.

Out of context, the statement can be considered nonsense.  In context,
it isn't.  The rest of the sentence talks about indexing a table with
it, where *only* lua's equality definition applies.

Communication is a cooperative process that assumes you're trying to
understand.  You're on a Lua mailing list, the sentence talks about
indexing, the sentence is an answer to the opportunity of syntactic
sugar turning comma-separated multi-dimensional indexation into
indexation by a dynamically constructed table.  Considering that it is
not clear that I'm talking about difference w.r.t indexation in Lua is
just not trying.  Or not being able to try by f.i. lack of sleep.  But
nonsense?  Not even close.

  OG.