I guess you need to make the relationship a more explicit to the GC. Maybe storing a table of all member-widgets in the container's env- table would do the trick. You could alternatively do something equivalent with a semi-weak table stashed away in the registry (but possibly not if a widget can belong to multiple containers).

Mike

So, two questions arise:
1) Is there a better way to manage refs in C++ than the way I'm doing it? 2) Is there a way to do this so that everything gets collected in the same
call to collectgarbage()?