Lua is a single-threaded language. Both the Lua interpreter and LuaJIT only support one active thread per global Lua state. You can either use multiple Lua states (e.g. one per thread) and provide some communication and synchronization mechanism between them, or you will need a global mutex, which will limit your concurrency and scalability. (BTW: Python supports multiple threads, but only one thread can access the core interpreter at a time, so you don't gain much)

The current LuaJIT compiler seems very stable. I have not had any issues with it, except that it will only run on 32-bit X86.