I'm currently working on a similar trick in my project, though I don't
copy the whole of _G for efficiency reasons, if nothing else. Instead,
I create a clean environment, and give it a metatable that makes it
pull values from the global environment if they're not present in the
sandbox.

Couple of important notes: the global environment and the tables it
contains are 'read only' in my setup. This is because the global
environment is expected to persist for long periods of time (months),
and is shared by multiple scripts. I don't want any script polluting
the global namespace and potentially interefering with another script.

I also use the '__usedindex' patch to prevent certain things being
altered, such as the __environment and __parent magic values. I also
use more magic to stop people using rawset/rawget and
getmetatable/setmetatable on secured tables, so this is only part of
the whole mechanism.

This is all a bit quick'n'dirty, to be honest, and I fully expect to
replace it with something a little nicer as and when it comes to mind
;-) The line where data is written back to the parent environment
should really deep-copy data to the temporary environment instead, for
example.

f is the function to sandbox, by the way.

  local eproxy = {}
  eproxy.__parent = getfenv(2)
  eproxy.__index = function(t, n)
    local env = rawget(t, "__environment")
    local parent = rawget(getmetatable(t), "__parent")
    if env and env[n] then return env[n] end

    if !parent then return nil end
    return parent[n]
  end
  eproxy.__newindex = function(t, n, v)
    local env = rawget(t, "__environment")
    local parent = rawget(gmget(t), "__parent")

    if !env then
      rawset(t, "__environment", {})
      env = rawget(t, "__environment")
    end

    if rawget(parent,n) then parent[n] = v end

    rawset(env,n,v)
  end

  local env = {}
  setmetatable(env,eproxy)