James Dennett wrote:
[...]
> I'm aware that some do; I doubt that it's most, but I don't have hard
> numbers to back that up.

Well, the place where I work compiles the same piece of software on at
least six different C compilers, including the appalling and ancient
Visual Studio 6, and every single one of those supports noreturn
annotations.

We've found that a good way of producing robust code is to throw as much
information at the compiler as possible; noreturn, printfalike, const,
deprecated, sentinel, unused arguments, and unused results are all
interesting, for example, and cause the compiler to emit more
intelligent warnings than they would normally do. As the annotations are
all indirected through macros it doesn't matter if the syntax is
different from compiler to compiler or that some compilers don't support
them all.

│ "I have always wished for my computer to be as easy to use as my
│ telephone; my wish has come true because I can no longer figure out
│ how to use my telephone." --- Bjarne Stroustrup