I would say, this seems to be a generic problem of Lua projects. Not only those in LuaForge.

The best way - this is just an idea - would be a starring system that would allow people to "vote for" high quality code they've found useful. Alongside the starring, there should be tags for "Lua 5.0", "Lua 5.1" and so forth. Even free form commentary like what amazon.com allows, would be great.

LuaForge is using a ready-made platform so I don't think adding new features would be trivial. Maybe, should LuaForge be (re)made in Lua itself? ;)

-asko