 >    A problem with these escapes is that they change meaning if you use quotes
>    for your patterns. Consider the next example:
>
>         compile([[c:[a-z]+\\[a-z]+]])
>         compile( "c:[a-z]+\\[a-z]+")

I see the problem, but:

1. Patterns already change meaning when you use quotes instead of
[[]]. There was a discussion recently about that:
"lpeg brain melt"(http://lua-users.org/lists/lua-l/2008-05/msg00879.html)

2. Only 2 chars change meaning: '\\' and '\]' inside character
class. ']' already has documented method to be expressed without
escaping (can be included in the set as the first character, after the
optional ^).  As for '\\' - we can predefine %bslash, or just clarify
in documentation that someone should use '\\\\' if pattern is
delimited by single or double quotes.

Cheers,
      zOOn