I would go with one of two options:
1) Assuming you just need to store Lua data with a userdata, consider
setting a new table as the environment for the userdata and using that
to store the data
2) If the userdatum need to have different metatables (e.g. they have
differing metamethods), then you could add a "__isTypeX" field to each
metatable, and use that to validate that the userdata are of the
correct type.