Pete Kay wrote:
Hi
The application has two characteristics:

1. DB access intensive - almost everypage has data fetching and a lot of tables 2. Real-time monitor - many pages have real-time interaction with a back-end server using AJAX.

Budget is small so I can't afford a large cluster of Apache server, but high availability is still required. I have done a lot of work with PHP before, but I feel Lua is lighter and can be more scalable for what my application.
If your application has to be real-time and to scale very well then I suggest you to try Erlang/YAWS/Mnesia or to go with a compiled language.
(Read this article http://www.dotpas.org/cgi-bin/articles/a01)
You can find about Erlang, YAWS and Mnesia here:
Erlang -> http://www.erlang.org
YAWS -> http://yaws.hyber.org
Mnesia is a distributed real-time database server and it is part of Erlang/OTP. However Lua is very nice and good to write extensions and for small web applications. Personally, I will never use a scripting language for a big project of any kind.
//JK