--- Pete Kay <petedao@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
> The application has two characteristics:
>
> 1. DB access intensive - almost everypage has data
> fetching and a lot of
> tables
Not sure if lua's SQL binding fits the bill.

> 2. Real-time monitor - many pages have real-time
> interaction with a back-end
> server using AJAX.

I believe this is lua/php neutral as it is purely
client side thing so should not have any weight in
selecting lua or php.

> Budget is small so I can't afford a large cluster of
> Apache server, but high
> availability is still required.
again, unless you run a lua based server(like
xavante), this point should have no weight as far as
lua vs php is concerned.

> I have done a lot of work with PHP before, but I
> feel Lua is lighter and can
> be more scalable for what my application.
Is it a good idea to try something seems to be new to
you when you said budget is small ?