--- Norman Ramsey <nr@eecs.harvard.edu> wrote:
> I think you'll find the more Lua succeeds the fewer
> members of the
> community create software that is reusable by
> others.  Years ago I
> read an IBM document that says if a program works
> for you, making it
> work for someone else will require triple your
> original effort, and
> making it a product will require triple that effort.
>  I've never done
> a product but have released plenty of stuff open
> source and that
> factor of three is a pretty good estimate.
so true

> I'm with the other poster who wished it be possible
> to create at least
> a simple rock without any makefile at all.
I think the luarocks' build_module option already does
that. Unfortunately, I don't know how to make use of
it effectively.

If it is a lua only module, I believe no make file is
needed.

If it is a self-contained C module with simple
dependency, it should work too(or does it?)

Unfortunately, almost all my modules are bindings that
relies on external modules/libraries. This is fine
under linux(just make sure the proper libraries are
installed, simple task under debian).

But a nightmare situation under Windows, forcing me to
write Makefile.win (and thus Makefile as I don't think
I can have it built as module under linux and built as
makefile under Windows).

Be a better friend, newshound, and