Doug Currie wrote:

You would expect high fragmentation with best fit.

TLSF has been mentioned on this list a few times:
http://lua-users.org/cgi-bin/namazu.cgi?query=tlsf&sort=score&idxname=lua-l&max=20

I use dlmalloc for embedded software; it's hard to beat.

Hmmm, I'd expect more fragmentation with first fit, but again, the
typical usage of the application will determine which produces
better results.

What is the typical heap size you're using, and how "big" is dlmalloc
on your system?

I've looked at TLSF a few times but the memory overhead for the
bitmap and extra code made it impractical. Now that I have some real
applications, I can go back to see if the fragmentation wastes
significantly more memory than TLSF uses to reduce fragmentation...

Thanks for the extra pointers though - I enjoy reviewing
what I've read in the past once in a while to be sure I'm
stll going in the right direction.

Ralph