From: lua-bounces@bazar2.conectiva.com.br
[mailto:lua-bounces@bazar2.conectiva.com.br] On Behalf Of Alex Davies
Sent: 30 April 2008 11:27
To: Lua list
Subject: Re: Lua and custom memory allocators

----- Original Message -----
From: "Abhinav Lele"

> My runtimes on :
> "for i = 1,1024*1024*64 do local z = {} end"   1m5s with lua 5.1.2
> compiled with Gnutool chain, using the default makefile on Windows
> 2003SP2 2.16Ghz Core2 box.
Interesting, seems to be three times faster then vs is on my box (amd
phenom), but still ~ 6 times slower then fastmm. Thanks.

> local z, max = {}, 1024*1024*32
>  for i = 1,max do z[i] = i % 16 end
>  for i = 1,max do z[i] = { z[i] } end
>  for i = 1,max do
>    if (z[i][1]) ~= i % 16 then error("mallocator is broken") end  end
>
> doesn't run gives error: unexpected symbol near %  .. did u mean some
> other operator.
Um, that should run fine on Lua 5.1. % is just the modulo symbol? Anyway the

operation is irrelevant, put anything you like in there. It was just left
over from some debugging. :)

> Is there any specific performance that you are looking ?
Nope, the allocator was out of need, the fact that it performs 20 times
faster then the default vs on my system was concerning is all. I still think

there's something funny going on, thanks again for your help.

- Alex

<<application/ms-tnef>>