From: "Abhinav Lele"
are these benchmarks similar for GNU toolchain ?

I'm lost as to why my VS seems to be so slow. Not having a gnu setup, I tried downloading the lua standalones which I'm pretty sure are compiled with VS. They are about half the speed, compared to 1/20th, which is more like I would expect. So I imagine gcc would be similar. Still a nice performance increase, but nothing to write home about. (For the record, I needed the allocator anyway as the system I'm compiling for does not feature a realloc ;)

Don't suppose anyone with VS knows what I've missed? Stepping through the code it does not appear to be performing memsets or anything, and seems to be passing the malloc calls straight through to the operating system which would explain the fragmentation and speed issues.

-sigh-

- Alex