----- Original Message ----- From: "Chip Salzenberg"

Indeed, I could do without a working equality operator on these strings.
Also, I wouldn't mind if derived strings (e.g. extracted substrings) were
interned, which means "this bit equal to that bit" would still work.

One thing that puzzles me though, is if they're constant... why not just
push them at the start of the program?

I'm adding Lua to an existing application which processes a data stream.
The data come in, the data go out, and they are never seen again.

Indeed it may be worth doing. Be sure to let us know how it goes :)

http://lua-users.org/wiki/SpeedingUpStrings

Thanks again.

Welcome.

- Alex