COPAS is a fine solution for the server-multiple connections problem.
For serious client/server, I tend to agree that you need to go for a
serious framework. However, I have a web interface problem for which a
COPAS server is a good fit; it's a little embedded linux device that
needs a web control interface with one user at any time.

On the CGI side, there is an interesting hybrid solution. Write a
little GCI script which makes connections to a persistent client
server, passes it the GGI parameters, reads the result back from the
socket, and writes it out. Handles the famous persistence problem
nicely.

steve d.