Shmuel Zeigerman wrote:
> KHMan wrote:
>> IMHO, I think this exercise is useful, but I wonder about the
>> level of specification that the reference manual should aim for. I
>> mean, should we aim for a specification that is as exquisitely
>> specified as ECMA-262? (Ha ha, try reading that document from
>> cover-to-cover...)
>
> I think, mentioning in the manual that null characters in file may cause
> undefined output would be quite reasonable.

Note that I didn't object to your suggestion. :-) I was pondering
a broader question. Well, I personally wouldn't add the
clarification, but I did kept my mouth shut about my own view. :-)

Checking DJGPP, Cygwin and Linux, nobody mentioned handling of NUL
characters in fgets. The Open Group Base Specifications Issue 6
based on IEEE Std 1003.1 for fgets also does not mention this.
They didn't think it necessary to specify all the corner cases.

So, the broader question I was posing to the list is whether we
should mention each and every usage or specification detail. I
think the reference manual should assume the reader is a
sufficiently skilled individual that no excessive hand-holding is
needed. (But that's only an opinion, and opinions are very cheap.
;-) )

--
Cheers,
Kein-Hong Man (esq.)