> Precompiling does not imply reduction in size. Stripping debug information
> helps reducing size but of course gets you less information in case of
> errors. I think you'd be better off compressing instead of precompiling.
> See http://lua-users.org/lists/lua-l/2003-05/msg00380.html and that thread.

Compression is a nice idea here but our filesystem on these devices already
uses LZMA-compression so we would not really benefit from this.

But more disk space for less debugging information is a good compromise in
this case. And this remembers me of another point I forgot to mention: The
CPU time we would save by byte-compiling the Lua files.

> > So my question is: Is there anything which could be helpful for cross
> > compiling Lua byte-code
>
> The easiest path is to change lundump.c to handle the multiple platforms,
> especially if the differences are minor. How different are your target
> platforms?

Our target platforms (the important ones) are all 32bit ones but with various
byte-orders but on of our main compiling platforms is amd64 so we also have
this 64bit integer problem.

But thank you all for your replies I will have a look into the sourcecode and
give it a try.